Did you know that a simple extension cord can cause a fire in your home or business?
Electrical extension cords allow us to use several electrical appliances at the same time or to plug them in when they are far from an electrical outlet. Unfortunately, they are a common cause of fires both at work and at home.
Electrical extension cords usually have between 3 and 6 sockets, and one of the main precautions is to add up the power of each of the appliances that we are going to calculate, so that the maximum capacity that the extension cord can support is not exceeded, which is usually printed on the casing.
Another of the main preventive measures is to unwind the cable in its totality, since, otherwise, the passage of the electrons can provoke, by the Joule effect, an excessive heating that could even cause a fire. The Joule effect is a phenomenon whereby the moving electrons of an electric current strike the material through which they are being conducted. The kinetic energy of the electrons is then converted into thermal energy, heating the material through which they are passing. This precautionary measure is also often printed on the printed label of cable reeling equipment.
Therefore, we recommend that whenever you need to use an electrical extension cord, you should always take the precaution of checking that the cables are completely unwound and that the maximum power that can be supported is not exceeded.From ERGASIA SEGURETAT we strive to always identify real risks within our preventive work, in order to ensure the protection of workers against electrical hazards in the workplace.